The US has carried out an airstrike targeting Iran-backed militias in Syria, in the first military action undertaken by the Biden administration.
The United States carried out its first airstrike under the direct supervision of the Biden administration on Iran-backed militias in Syria.
The airstrike wrecked many facilities, the bombardment was ordered in response to Attacks against US and coalition forces in Iraq.
According to the war monitor report, there were 22 fatalities and but AFP reported one person was killed.
While condemning the attack Syrian government said it is a bad sign from the new administration, but the US called its strike “proportionate military response” that was conducted together with “diplomatic measures”.
The attack came after a civilian contractor was killed in a rocket attack on US targets earlier this month and further five other contractors and a US service member were injured when the rockets hit sites in Irbil, including a US-led coalition base close to the airport.
The airstrike on Friday was launched based on the directions of President Biden, it targeted facilities located at border control points used by a number of Iran-backed militia groups including Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada who are allies of with Syrian government.
Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada have previously carried out or supported rocket attacks targeting US assets in the country.
According to BBC Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada previously carried attacks on US assets or supported the attacks.
But Kataib Hezbollah denied group’s involvement in the attack on US assets.
US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin was “confident in the target that we went after” as he spoke to the reporters.
“We know what we hit,” he said. “We’re confident that that target was being used by the same Shia militants that conducted the strikes” on 15 February, BBC reported.