The NATO-led Resolute Support and US Forces Commander General John Nicholson has said that the U.S. Forces-Afghanistan will honor the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan ceasefire with the Taliban, announced by H.E. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, on June 7.
“We will adhere to the wishes of Afghanistan for the country to enjoy a peaceful end to the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, and support the search for an end to the conflict,” said Gen. John Nicholson, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan and the NATO-led Resolute Support commander.
The US Forces in Afghanistan says the ceasefire does not include U.S. counterterrorism efforts against IS-K, Al-Qaeda, and other regional and international terrorist groups.
This comes as the Afghan Army of Chief of Staff Gen. Mohammad Sharif Yaftali had earlier said that the Afghan armed forces honor the ceasefire announced by President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani.
Speaking during a press conference in Kabul, Gen. Yaftali said he expects that Taliban group would also observe the cease.
Gen. Yaftali emphasized that the ceasefire is only with the Taliban group and its associate the Haqqani terrorist network and the fight against the foreign insurgents will continue.
According to Gen. Yaftali, the Afghan forces will continue to target the terrorists belonging to ISIS Khurasan, Lashkar-e-Tayyiba, and the Al-Qaeda terrorists.
President Ghani said the ceasefire is being declared in response to the religious scholars Fatwa issued on Monday where the ongoing conflict and violence was prohibited in the light of the principles of Islam.