Apple released its new iOS 16 software Monday, which means anyone with an iPhone 8 or newer can install the big update for the iPhone 14.
Apple releases big software updates every year to help keep the iPhone fresh. And, unlike Google’s Android, it’s available for all supported devices at the same time. This year’s update is a big one, with a whole new lock screen that can be customized with fonts and widgets, which were previously relegated to the home screen.
There are a lot of changes, but here are some of the highlights you need to know about.
What’s new in iOS 16
- Edit and unsend iMessages. Users can edit or unsend a message in iMessage within 15 minutes after sending it. The other user will be able to see that the message has been edited or removed.
- Schedule emails ahead of time. The built-in Mail app on iPhones will allow users to schedule emails to send later. It also has a new, more functional search feature that Apple says offers “more accurate and complete results.” It also has a new undo send option.
- Better group texting with Android users. Android users will finally see the Tapback reactions from iMessage users, like laughs, hearts and more, inside text chains. That means you won’t get the reactions sent as separate messages. It should be a huge improvement for iPhone users who text with Android users.
- Smarter Dictation. Smarter Dictation lets you speak texts and automatically punctuates them with commas, periods, question marks and even emoji — say something like “happy face emoji” and it’ll get added.
- Safety Check. This allows users to quickly turn off all services and apps, such as location, being shared with others, such as family members. Apple said Safety Check was designed in partnership with women’s groups and will make it easier for users to stay private or protect personal data and safety when leaving abusive relationships.
- Control notifications in new ways. Notifications now appear at the bottom of the screen when your phone is locked, and you can easily hide them to keep them out of the way. Likewise, you can change your Focus mode, to silence certain notifications when you’re asleep, at work or on vacation, by tapping and holding the lock screen.
- Customizable lock screens. Users will be able to add smaller widgets with real-time data to their lock screen.