KABUL, Afghanistan – The France’s Foreign Ministry on Thursday protested against the release of the two Taliban prisoners by Afghan government, according to sources, who are among the six “Hardcore” detainees transferred to Doha for direct supervision during the Intra-Afghan talks.
The two are convicted of killing at least two French nationals in Afghanistan and has since then been in prison, including those who have direct links to killing a number of Australian counterparts in the country.
“The six will remain in Qatar until the end of November and could be transferred back to Kabul,” one of the sources told Reuters.
Afghan government has released more than 500 Taliban prisoners – compromising its security – to pave the way for Intra-Afghan talks, which will determine the future of the country.
In return, the Taliban freed a finger-count Afghan commandos who have been languishing in insurgent’s prisons.
The swap is compiled upon demands by the Taliban, who persisted to have their members released before Intra-Afghan talks, calling international allies’ attention for some prisoners had direct link to killing their people.
Earlier this week, the Taliban’s political office said a number of its detainees have not yet been released, which slows down the preparation for intra-Afghan talks to take place in Qatari capital Doha.
Mohammad Naeem Wardak, a spokesman for Taliban’s political office, said in a tweet once the process of freeing its prisoners are done, they will be ready to sit with Afghans and negotiate on peace in the country.