Amid efforts to push the Taliban group leadership to sit-in for the second round of direct peace talks with the Afghan government, a top Pakistani official said Wednesday that the group will have to shut down their subversive activities in a bid to help kick off peace talks and achieve success.
The Pakistani Prime Minister’s foreign affairs adviser, Sartaj Aziz, told reporters in Islamabad that a quadrilateral committee meeting comprising of senior diplomatic representatives from US, China, Afghanistan and Pakistan is due for next month, insisting that the Taliban group should shut down their subversive activities if they want the peace talks to happen and succeed.
Aziz further added that the quadrilateral committee meeting has been called on 10th January next year to discuss the Afghan reconciliation process.
The Afghan and Pakistani leaders agreed to revive the stalled Afghan peace talks during a meeting on the sidelines of the Heart of Asia conference in Islamabad earlier this month.
Pakistan hosted the first round of direct peace talks between the Afghan government and Taliban group earlier in July this year.
The Afghan officials were expecting to sit-in for the second round of peace talks with the Taliban group representatives in Pakistan late in the month of July.
However, the process was delayed with the sudden disclosure of the Taliban supreme leader Mullah Mohammad Omar’s death shortly before the second round of talks.
Mullah Omar’s death confirmation led to widening rift among the Taliban leadership which resulted to suspension of peace talks.
A series of deadly attacks also rocked capital Kabul earlier which left scores of people dead or wounded and resulted into deteriorating relations between Kabul and Islamabad.