Taliban finally claims Kabul Hotel attack as all 5 assailants killed
By Khaama Press - Sun Jan 21 2018, 2:01 pm
The Taliban militants group in Afghanistan claimed responsibility behind the coordinated attack on Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul after almost 15 hours of heavy gun battle that resulted into the killing of all five insurgents.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid in a statement claimed that the attack was carried out by a group of at least five insurgents who stormed into the hotel and managed to resist the security forces for almost 14 hours.
He said the attack was carried out by the Taliban suicide bombers identified as Bilal, Ayoubi, Khalil, Bashar, and Obaid who were originally residents of Kandhar, Faryab, and Ghor provinces.
Mujahid also claimed that several people were killed in the attack including the foreigners, accusing all the victims of the attack as invaders.
This comes as reports earlier this afternoon suggesting that the last assailant still continue to resist the security forces from his position inside the hotel.
The Ministry of Interior of Afghanistan had earlier confirmed that the militants siege of the hotel ended with the elimination of all four attackers.
A statement by the ministry said at least 160 people including 41 foreign nationals were rescued during the operation by the Afghan forces.
The statement further added that five people including a foreigner were killed and six others were wounded during the clashes.
According to the ministry of interior, at least four policemen were also among those wounded during the clearance operation.