Over thirty people were killed or wounded in a suicide attack in southern Helmand province of Afghanistan late on Sunday evening.

According to the local government officials, the incident took place in the vicinity of Nawa district after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives.

Provincial governor’s spokesman Omar Zwak confirmed that a suicide bomber targeted an armored vehicle of the security forces at around 6:30 pm local time.

He said preliminary reports indicate at least thirteen people were killed and more than nineteen others were wounded in the attack.

In the meantime, another security official said civilians and security personnel were among those killed or wounded in the attack.

No group including the Taliban insurgents has so far claimed responsibility behind the incident.

This comes as at least seven people were killed and more than forty others were wounded in a similar attack in Lashkargah city, the provincial capital of Helmand on Wednesday.

The Taliban insurgents group had claimed responsibility behind the attack.

Helmand is among the volatile provinces in southern Afghanistan where numerous deadly attacks have been carried out by the Taliban insurgents during the recent months.

The Afghan security forces with the support of the foreign forces also conduct regular operations to suppress insurgency of the Taliban.

Author

  • Khaama Press

    The Khaama Press News Agency is the leading and largest English news service for Afghanistan with over 3 million hits a month. Independent authors/columnists and experts are welcomed to contribute stories, opinions and editorials. Send stories to news@khaama.com.