Sudan’s warring factions have agreed in principle to a seven-day ceasefire effective from Thursday, the Foreign Ministry of South Sudan on Thursday announced.
Salva Kiir, the President of South Sudan had offered mediation and asked the warring sides to agree on a long-term truce to end the ongoing conflict in north Sudan, which has already adversely affected the lives of the ordinary people.
The previous short-term ceasefire between Sudanese army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) leader General Mohamed Hamdan “Hemedti” Dagalo was violated as more air raids and shooting continued in the capital city of Khartoum.
The credibility of the new truce effective from the May 4-11 deal has yet to be seen, with further developments on the ground.
Both sides have agreed to hold talks, however, each side has its own conditions for the talks to happen, reported by Aljazeera.
Since the outbreak of the war on April 15 in Khartoum and other cities of Sudan, roughly 100,000 people were forced to flee over Sudan’s borders – creating a humanitarian crisis, UN officials said earlier on Tuesday.
The conflict in Sudan has the potential to cause a catastrophic humanitarian crisis, as neighboring countries are already struggling with the influx of migrants. The ongoing war has disrupted the delivery of aid as two-thirds of Sudan’s population rely on humanitarian aid.
White House spokesperson, Karine Jean-Pierre on Tuesday said humanitarian aid organizations must be given access to help people in Sudan, Aljazeera reported.
Meanwhile, United Nations officials had said UN aid chief Martin Griffiths aimed to visit Sudan on Tuesday but the timing was still to be confirmed.