A roadside bomb targeted the Afghan government employees in the southern Zabul province on Thursday, which caused the death of a driver and four passengers, the provincial officials said.

The provincial governor’s spokesman Gulsalam Siyal said the blast occurred this afternoon around 12:00 pm local time when the Da Afghanistan Brishna Sherkat (DABS) employees’ vehicle was hit by a roadside mine in Zeyarat area of Shahr-e-Safa district.

As of now, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack. Mohammadullah Amiri, the provincial police spokesperson, accused the Taliban of placing a bomb on the road in the Shahr-e-Safa district, which destroyed the vehicle, and killed the passengers.

However, the Taliban did take responsibility for a roadside bombing that killed two American service members and wounded two others in southern Afghanistan last week.

Over the last couple of years, the Taliban expanded their domain and now control roughly half of Afghanistan. They continue to attack Afghan and US forces even though peace talks and a promising agreement on a temporary ceasefire in Afghanistan is going on.

Similar to the previous years, scores of innocent Afghan civilians have been killed in the crossfire and by roadside bombs planted by insurgent groups across Afghanistan.

Zalmay Khalilzad, the US special envoy for Afghanistan Reconciliation, is negotiating with the Taliban leaders in Doha to decrease violence and agree with the terms for a temporary ceasefire that will pave the way for the Afghan peace process.

Author

  • Nizam Rezahi is an editor and content writer to The Khaama Press News Agency.