The UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Afghanistan, Richard Bennett, said he had visited the Shi’ite Mosque in Mazar-e-Sharif, which had been the site of a horrific attack a month ago.

On Sunday, 22nd May, Bennett tweeted that he was saddened to see the site of the violence against civilians.

The attack on the mosque was condemned as “violence against civilian worshipers – mostly Hazaras,” by the UN Special Rapporteur on Afghanistan.

Attacks on civilians must stop, and those involved must be brought to justice, according to Richard Bennett.

https://twitter.com/SR_Afghanistan/status/1528442591586525186?s=20&t=_0Ylb8c8pZtOLDGSCk5YSg

The explosion at the SehDokan mosque was the one in a series of atrocities against Hazaras and Shiites. The incident resulted in the deaths of more than 50 people and injured another 100.

The Islamic State’s Khorasan branch, also known as ISIS, claimed responsibility for the mosque attack in Mazar-e-Sharif.

This year’s Ramadan saw deadly attacks on monasteries and mosques in Afghanistan, where the majority of Shi’ites go to worship.

The provinces of Kabul, Mazar-e-Sharif, and Kunduz suffered the greatest casualties from the deadly attacks.

Officials from the Taliban leadership have said repeatedly that ISIS has been vanquished and that Afghan soil would not be utilized against any country.

Author

  • Saqalain Eqbal is an Online Editor for Khaama Press. He is a Law graduate from The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF).