Sunday, June 16, 2024
Advertisement

No decision by Obama administration on US troops level in Afghanistan: Pentagon

Immigration News

Khaama Press
Khaama Presshttps://www.khaama.com
Khaama Press is a Kabul-based independent and non-political news organization established in 2010.

US-troops-in-Afghanistan-006

The Pentagon announced Tuesday that no decision has been taken by President Barack Obama’s administration to ramp up troops level in Afghanistan.

Peter Cook, the Pentagon spokesman, said the newly-appointed commander of the US forces in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson will evaluate the situation on the ground and will make proposals first.

He told reporters “Let’s give General Nicholson a chance to get on the ground, find out… whether or not there needs to be an adjustment.”

Gen. Nicholson assumed charge of the US forces and the Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan earlier this month and replaced Gen. John Campbell.

In his testimony to the committee last month, Gen. Nicholson said he aims to review the current troops withdrawal plan from Afghanistan.

As the number of US troops is due to drop to 5,500 starting in January 2017 — down from 9,800 currently, Gen. Nicholson has vowed to make a proposal within 90 days of taking up the post.

This comes as the Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant during the recent months and since the coalition forces concluded their combat mission in Afghanistan.

The group has staged numerous deadly attacks across the country including capital Kabul despite ongoing efforts to end the violence in the country through peace process.

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

- Advertisement -

The World News