There is a growing concern that Armenia and Azerbaijan will return to battle over the disputed area of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Despite the international call for calm, battles between the two countries continued overnight over the disputed location.

The Armenian defense ministry, reportedly stated on Monday morning, that there was continuous shelling throughout the night from Azerbaijan.

On the other hand, the Azeri defense officials said that Terter town was under the rage of shelling coming from Armenia.

Nikol Pashinyan, Armenian prime minister said, that the country has declared a state of emergency and so far, 16 soldiers are killed during the battle.

He accuses Azerbaijan of launching the first attacks and adds, four tanks and 15 Azerbaijani planes were destroyed.

On the other hand, the Azerbaijani President accuses Armenia of the first attacks in which 5 members of a family were killed and several others are left wounded.

Both Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh declared martial law and military mobilization, military rules and curfews were imposed in large cities of these clashing nations.

Armenia and Azerbaijan are the two nations that previously were under the Soviet Union, they also had clashed over the area during the 1990s, Nagorno-Karabakh broke away from Azerbaijan when the Soviet-Union collapsed in 1991, although a cease-fire was reached in 1994 but left 30000 people dead and many more homeless.

Nagorno-Karabakh is a region currently inside the premises of Azerbaijan but is run by the ethnic Armenians.

Azerbaijan blames the Russians for arming the Armenians, besides the Turkish government announced if the situation escalates, Turkey will stand with Azerbaijan.

Pope Francis, The European Union, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Turkey, and the United States urged both countries to halt their attacks.

Author

  • Mohammad Haroon Alim holds a BBA degree from Kardan University. He works as a sub-editor for Khaama Press.