MoD rejects 40 Afghan Special Forces are under siege in Faryab province
By Khaama Press - Tue Feb 20 2018, 3:38 pm
The Ministry of Defense of Afghanistan (MoD) has rejected reports suggesting that at least 40 personnel of the Afghan Special Operations Forces are under the siege of the militants in northern Faryab province.
MoD spokesman Gen. Dawlat Waziri said the Afghan forces are still based in Pashtun Kot district from where the siege reports emerged.
He said the Afghan forces are in good condition and continuously receive support from the center as he rejected the reports that the Special Forces are in critical condition.
According to Gen. Waziri, the militants carried out two attacks but both the attacks were repulsed and there are no serious concerns at the moment.
This comes as reports emerged earlier suggesting that at least 40 Special Operations Forces personnel and several civilians are under the siege of the militants.
The anti-govenment amed militant and terrorist groups including the Taliban insurgents have not commented regarding the report so far.
Faryab is among the relatively volatile provinces where the Taliban insurgents and other terror groups inclduding the ISIS loyalists are active in some of its districts and often carry out insurgency activities.