A vehicle loaded with explosives was detonated in PD1 Pul-e-Alam city in Logar province on Friday evening.

Ministry of Interior Affairs said, that an explosive-laden vehicle exploded at around 7:00 pm local time and caused massive civilian casualties and financial losses.

According to reports a residential home and a hospital were damaged in the blast, MoI stated.

At least 30 people were killed and efforts are underway to rescue people trapped in the rubbles.

Media outlets in Kabul reported at least 70 people were also injured in the incident, and some other local media outlets reported that more than 90 people were injured.

All of the casualties of the truck bomb attack were reported to be civilians.

No group or individual has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Meanwhile, on Thursday evening, seven members of one family were killed in a Taliban attack in the Khinjan district of Baghlan province, provincial officials told the media.

Abdul Nasir Rasikh, Khinjan district governor told the media that the Taliban militant attack targeted a house belonging to a security force member in Walian Valley in the Khinjan district.

All of the victims were civilians and young men who were relatives to the security force member.

According to Rasikh, two Taliban affiliates were also killed during the clashes, and the soldier who was meant to be killed fled the area.

Taliban so far did not comment on the incident.

This comes as US Defense Intelligence Agency Chief, General Scott David Berrier at a US senate Armed services Committee expressed his doubt over the possibility of a ceasefire as violence remains high in Afghanistan amid the peace process.

“Talks are highly unlikely to result in extended ceasefires or violence reduction while the Taliban continues to apply military pressure on the Afghan government”, Berrier added, “at the same time, the threats from terrorist organizations will persist”.

Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines said that the US currently is focused on the safe withdrawal of American and international troops from Afghanistan.

Two al-Qaeda operatives in Afghanistan in an interview with CNN on Friday said that “war against the US will be continuing on all other fronts unless they are expelled from the rest of the Islamic world”.

Sources told Tolonews that an average of 11 to 49 security force members and civilians are killed on daily basis following the announcement of US troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan on April 14.

Statistical findings indicate that 226 Afghan civilians and military personnel have been killed in Taliban offensives in 24 provinces since the withdrawal was announced.

It is indicated that 69 are civilians and 157 are Afghan security force members, Tolonews reported.

Violence in Afghanistan has escalated despite peace efforts and many people have lost their lives following the US-Taliban agreement in Doha, Qatar last year.

Author


  • The Khaama Press News Agency is the leading and largest English news service for Afghanistan with over 3 million hits a month. Independent authors/columnists and experts are welcome to contribute stories, opinions and editorials. Send stories to [email protected]