Latest on Ghazni city attack: Afghan, US military confirm ANDSF grip over the city
By Khaama Press - Fri Aug 10 2018, 11:59 am
The Taliban militants launched coordinated attack on the provincial capital of Ghazni province in the early hours of Friday morning as sporadic clashes continue between the Afghan forces and the assailants.
The 203rd Thunder Corps Director of Operations Gen. Mohammad Alam Nejrabi said the Afghan National Defense and security Forces have repulsed the attack, inflicting heavy casualties on the militants.
He said the provincial city and all other districts are under total control of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces.
The US Military in Afghanistan in a short statement said “U.S. Forces responded with close-air support this morning in Ghazni. Afghan forces held their ground and maintain control of all government centers.”
Provincial security chief Farid Ahmad Mashal says the dead bodies of at least 39 militants are left in the eastern parts of the city.
Provincial public health directorate officials are saying that the bodies of at least 16 people including two civilians have been shifted to the hospital along with at least 30 others who have sustained injuries.
According to the officials, at least 26 security personnel are among those wounded during the clashes.
The provincial governor’s spokesman Mohammad Arif Noori had earlier said at least seven security personnel have sustained injuries during the attack.