Aimal Faizi, spokesman for President Hamid Karzai, said Tuesday that immediate steps should taken against the convicts of Paghman rape case where four women were gang raped by a group of gunmen last week.
Faizi insisted that President Hamid Karzai will not delay the signing of death penalty for the convicts.
He said the Afghan Attorney General Office, Ministry of Interior Affairs and the intelligence department – National Directorate of Security (NDS) were instructed by President Karzai to take immediate actions against those who were involved behind the brutal crime.
Faizi also added that the president is personally following the case with the chief justice and Afghan Attorney General.
He reiterated that President Karzai will not delay the signing of death penalty for the convicts once the Chief Justice issues a verdict.
At least four women were kidnapped a week ago in Paghman district after their car was stopped by gunmen while they were returning from a wedding ceremony.
According to Kabul security officials, at least six people including the head of a 16-people gang have been arrested in connection to the incident and are in police custody.
Three of the suspects were arrested by police from southeastern Ghazni province of Afghanistan late Monday after they managed to flee Kabul city, security officials said.
According to Kabul police chief, Gen. Zahir Zahir, the convicts have confessed to their crimes and have said the victims were also tortured besides they were repeatedly raped.