The White House strongly condemned the coordinated Taliban attack in Kabul city on Monday which left scores of people dead or wounded.
The White House Press Secretary in a statement said “The United States condemns in the strongest terms today’s heinous terrorist attack, claimed by the Taliban, in which Afghan civilians and security personnel were killed and severely wounded.”
The statement further added “The attack involved a vehicle bombing and gun assault on an Afghan defense facility, also damaging nearby civic and cultural centers and a primary school, injuring dozens of young children.”
Furthermore, the statement added that “This brazen attack demonstrates the Taliban’s callous disregard for their fellow Afghans, who have repeatedly voiced the urgency of finding a peaceful resolution to the conflict.”
A group of Taliban militants launched a complex attack by detonating a car bomb close to Gulbahar Township in 16th district of Kabul city at 9 am on Monday.
The Ministry of Interior said the Taliban militants took position inside one of the buildings in Gulbahar Township following the explosion. The militants started opening fire on people and the defense ministry installations.
Furthermore, the interior ministry said the security forces killed five militants who were resisting the security forces.
Meanwhile, the interior ministry said the attack claimed the lives of a child, a security guard of Shamshad TV and 2 soldiers of the Special Forces.
According to Ministry of Interior, the attack also wounded 84 others.
The public ministry had earlier said the attack wounded 116 people including 26 children and 5 women.