According to state TV and opposition activists, ISIS militants massacred the civilians during a raid on the government-held village of Mabuja.
The offensive was reportedly carried out early on Tuesday morning with state TV reporting that 44 people including women and children were slaughtered.
However, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the dead included 37 civilians who were either shot dead, burned or stabbed before the militants withdrew.
The director of the Britain-based group, Rami Abdurrahman, said many villagers were still missing but it was unclear if they were kidnapped by ISIS fighters.
This comes as ISIS last week released a video showing its militants beheading eight men said to be Shiite Muslims from the central province of Hama.
Minority groups including Christians as well as Ismailis and Alawites, both Shiite offshoots are residing in the Central Syria.
According to reports the minority groups are supporting President Bashar Assad who is himself an Alawite. The minorities fear attacks by extremists among the mostly Sunni rebels fighting to topple Preident Assad.