On Thursday 2 April 2020, the director-general of the World Health Organization said the lockdown to limit the COVID-19 transmission had “unintended consequences for the poorest” and “most vulnerable”. “I call on countries to ensure these populations have food [and] life essentials during the crisis,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus tweeted.
Till now more than 1000000 one million people are affected by the novel coronavirus around the world and out of this more than 53000 people have died, more than 210000 people have been fully recovered and the numbers are increasing every minute.
Long-suffering Afghanistan is increasingly facing an ever more severe threat: the novel coronavirus. If serious actions are not taken to prepare, the Afghan Public Health Ministry estimates that 80 % population of Afghanistan will be infected and 110,000 Afghans will die from COVID-19, till now 273 people are infected by the coronavirus in Afghanistan.
Herat, Khandahar, Logar and Kabul provinces have been lockdown by the government, the Afghan government has limited the movement of residents in Farah, Nangarhar and Nimruz provinces, praying in mosques has been suspended to prevent any possible spread of the virus.
Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world and more than 42% of the Afghans are living under the poverty line. Most of the people in Afghanistan are taxi drivers, shopkeepers and day laborers, and earn enough to hardly make one-day family food expenses. In this lockdown, these people in the community suffer the most and they are faced with two hazards the Covid19 and Poverty because they are unable to get any work during the lockdown period and they do not have any savings so that they can spend it now.
During this time of crisis, the government should focus more on the poor people and help in providing them with food and life essentials during the lockdown period, the people can also do their part, by doing the following to help the poor families during this period.
- Public awareness: Those people, who have more information about the novel coronavirus, try to find out about families and people who do not have access to Facebook and other social media and are unaware of the coronavirus. Provide them with accurate information the most important, how to protect themselves and the symptoms of the virus, so they do not become infected.
- The traders: should not take this opportunity and try to earn from it by increasing the prices of the products and selling them on higher prices, it’s not the time to make a profit but instead, the traders should sell their goods to the markets and shops much cheaper and they sell it to the public especially to the poor on cheaper prices.
- The wealthy and the businessman: the lesson we can learn from the coronavirus is that it sees us all equal, poor, rich, black, white, educated, uneducated, it infects and attacks all of us. Try to buy food products for needy people so that they can use them during the lockdown period, as during this period they can’t go outside or work and earn money in order to bring food to their family.
- Those afghan brothers and sisters living outside Afghanistan can raise money from their friends and the Afghan community out there and send them back to Afghanistan to their families and friends to help the needy families in this crisis.
- If there are markets and shops in your area talk with them to place a basket in there market and shops and those people who buy goods from their should buy one or two food products for the needy people and place it in the basket and should be latter distributed among the needy families.
- There are many charitable organizations in Afghanistan who always helps the poor and needy families across the country, contact them and send them money to help more and more needy families.
- You can also help these families by providing them with handwashing soap, hand sanitizers, face masks and disposable gloves to prevent them from getting infected.