The Government of National Unity has not accepted the offer by Jamiat-e-Islami to keep Ata Mohammad Noor as the governor of Balkh province, it has been reported.

According to the sources privy of the development, keeping Noor as Balkh governor and implementation of the National Unity Government treaty were among the key demands of the Jamiat-e-Islami party in the proposal of the party in a bid to end the ongoing political deadlock.

A member of the leadership council of Jamiat-e-Islami Mohammad Ismail Khan has told RFE’s Afghanistan service that the demands of Jamiat-e-Islami have not been accepted by the government.

He said the proposal included seven demands in total but the government has not accepted the offers and therefore talks have halted between the two sides.

This comes as the chief executive of Jamiat-e-Islami and the ousted Balkh governor Ata Mohammad Noor on Saturday once again warned that he and his supporters will launch widespread civil movements if the ongoing talks between Jamiat-e-Islami and the government fail.

According to the ex-governor of Balkh province, no major breakthrough has been achieved during the ongoing talks so far and only little progress has been made.

He called on his supporters that they will be summoned for the civil movements if the talks end without any outcome and in case the two sides did not reach to any agreement.

The Afghan government announced nearly a month ago that the resignation of Ata Mohammad Noor from the Balkh government has been approved by President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani.

Noor admitted that he submitted his resignation but he had several demands before stepping down and none of them has been met by the government while his resignation has been approved.

Author

  • Khaama Press

    The Khaama Press News Agency is the leading and largest English news service for Afghanistan with over 3 million hits a month. Independent authors/columnists and experts are welcomed to contribute stories, opinions and editorials. Send stories to news@khaama.com.