Taliban militants hand over their weapons after joining the Afghan government's reconciliation and reintegration programme, in Herat January 30, 2012.  Some thirty Afghan Taliban have joined the program, Herat governor Daoud Shah said.     REUTERS/Mohammad Shoib (AFGHANISTAN - Tags: CIVIL UNREST POLITICS) - RTR2X2V3Residents of Char Sadat district in western Ghor province of Afghanistan forced hundreds of Taliban militants out of the district on Wednesday.

Around 300 Taliban militants on Wednesday launched an offensive on Char Sada district and took control of the district for few hours.

Gen. Zahir Azimi, spokesman for the ministry of defense of Afghanistan said Thursday that the local residents forced Taliban militants out of Char Sada after two hours they took control of the district.

Heavy clashes took place after the Taliban militants attacked Char Sada district on Wednesday and gun battle between the two sides continued for several hours.

Deputy interior minister for security, Gen. Ayub Salangi said Taliban militants suffered heavy casualties following the clashes.

However, no exact details regarding the casualties have been given by the authorities so far.

The Taliban militants group has not commented regarding the report so far.