“We welcome the three days ceasefire announced by the Taliban starting on the first day of Eid. This comes following the bold decision by the Islamic republic of Afghanistan to cease the fight for a period of time,” President Ghani said in a statement.
He said “I would like to thank our international partners such as the US, UK, EU and the Islamic Conference and in particular Afghans who supported us in this decision.”
Presidential spokesperson Haroon Chakhansuri told reporters earlier that the government welcomes any move that leads to prevention of violence and bloodshed.
He also expressed hopes that the ceasefire will result into the revival of peace talks for reconciliation.
This comes as the Taliban group announced earlier today that the leadership of the group has decided to declared ceasefire during the three days of Eid-ul-Fitr during which no attack will be carried out on Afghan forces.
This comes as President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani on Thursday announced a ceasefire with the Taliban group and said the Afghan forces will not conduct offensive operations against the group from 27th of the holy month of Ramadan until the 5th day of Eid.
In the meantime, the Afghan officials are hoping that ceasefire announcements will lead to the extension of the period of ceasefire and will eventually open doors for peace talks.