President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani on Sunday informed regarding the investment plans worth billions of dollars on the Afghan Air Force.

He said with the announcement of the new US strategy for Afghanistan, the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission’s activities have increased.

President Ghani further added that six billion dollars will be invested on the Air Force in the next four years.

The Afghan President made the remarks during his visit to eastern Nangarhar province where he met with the 201st Silab Corps of the Afghan army.

The remarks by President Ghani came as the United States has also stepped up approving new contracts for the Afghan Air Force as well as the ground forces.

The United States Department of Defense during the recent weeks informed regarding the award of at least two contracts worth $727 million and $69.3 million.

The commander of the United States Central Command General Joseph L. Votel requested the US Congress to approve the budget for the Afghan forces Blackhawk program.

In his statement before the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier in March this year, Gen. Votel informed regarding the significant capability gaps in Afghan Air Force and said “The DoD-request of $814.5M for FY17 for the first year of our plan to recapitalize the Afghan fleet provides funding to procure 53 UH-60s, with refurbishment and modification of the first 18; 30 additional armed MD-530F helicopters; 6 additional A-29 attack aircraft; and five AC-208s.”

He also added that the requested FY2017 Afghan Security Forces Fund (ASFF) budget, including the 23 additional funds for the first year of this proposed aviation initiative, went to Congress on 10 Nov 2016.

Author

  • Khaama Press

    The Khaama Press News Agency is the leading and largest English news service for Afghanistan with over 3 million hits a month. Independent authors/columnists and experts are welcome to contribute stories, opinions and editorials. Send stories to news@khaama.com.