Ghani apologizes over tragic civilian deaths in Kunduz airstrike
By Khaama Press - Wed May 16 2018, 6:36 pm
The Office of the President, ARG Palace, said President Ghani met with the tribal elders, religious scholars, and families of the victims who were killed in the tragic incident in Dasht Archi district.
A statement by ARG Palace stated that President Ghani offered his condolences regarding the civilian casualties in the tragic incident.
President Ghani also hailed the families of the victims for their patience and resiliance which led to the prevention of further tragic incidents after the airstrike.
He said the government and ministry of defense leadership apologizes regarding the civilian deaths in the airstrike.
This comes as the United Nations Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) had earlier said that the latest findings by the mission indicate that 36 civilians were killed and 71 others were wounded in the airstrike in Dasht Archi district.
However, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) in a statement, said the intelligence reports received by the ministry indicates that several Taliban militants including 18 of their commanders were killed in the raid.
The statement further added that a member of the Quetta Council of the Taliban Mulah Baryal was also among those killed and several others including 12 commanders of the group were wounded.
In the meantime, MoD confirmed the deaths of 9 civilians while stating that 55 others sustained injuries in the airstrike.