The First Vice President Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum was spotted in the frontline together with his two sons to fight the Taliban militants in northern Faryab province.
Naqibullah Faiq, lawmaker representing northern Faryab province in the Lower House of the Parliament – Wolesi Jirga, said Monday major parts of Almar district was cleared from the militants presence.
He said the operation was led by Gen. Dostum who was accompanied by his sons Yar Mohammad and Babur.
Faiq further added that Almar was the safe haven of the Taliban shadow governor where foreign militants including Uzbek insurgents were also actively operating.
Gen. Dostum said last week he will go to frontline if the Taliban militants did not refrain from violence and surrender to the Afghan security forces.
Going to the frontline along with the Afghan security forces was part of Gen. Dostum’s promises to clear northern parts of the country from the Taliban militants and foreign insurgents.
Speaking to a gathering of the Afghan security forces in Qaisar district, Gen. Dostum said those Taliban militants who are having better knowledge of the realities should surrender and join the government of national unity.
Gen. Dostum further added that the government will welcome all those militants belonging to Taliban, Haqqani network or any other militant group if they start contacts with the government and understand the ground realities.
Gen. Dostum set a deadline for the Taliban militants to surrender in northern parts of the country during a trip to northern Faryab province last month.
This comes as the acting provincial governor for northern Balkh province of Afghanistan Ata Mohammad Noor also said last month that joint operations will be launched to clear northern parts of the country from the militants.
Speaking during a ceremony to mark the first day of Eid al-Fitr in Mazar-e-Sharif city, Noor said the operations would be launched based on an agreement reached with First Vice President Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum and Second Deputy CEO Haji Mohammad Mohaqiq.