The Afghan armed forces have launched fresh operations to eliminate the militants affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group in Chaparhar district of Nangarhar province.
The provincial government media office in a statement said the public order police forces, national police forces, Afghan intelligence, Afghan commandos, and armed forces from the 4th brigade have taken part in the operations.
The statement further added that the operations kicked off at around 2am local time on Tuesday and a number of areas including Separi, Abdul Rahmani, Spin Jumt, Shulana, Geratik, Lalma, Sulaiman Khel, Sangina, Pul Dago, Ghulam Dak have been cleared from the presence of the militants.
The provincial government also added that five ISIS militants were killed and as many were wounded during the operations conducted with the support of the artillery fire and airstrikes.
A Ak-47, 4 magazines, and some other types of munitions were also confiscated during the same operations, the provincial government said, adding that the security forces and the local residents have not suffered any casualty during the operations so far.
The Commander of the 4th Brigade of the Afghan army Gen. Mohammad Karim Niazi who leads the operations said the operations will continue until the district is fully cleared of the militants.
He said the security forces have stepped up efforts to secure the district for the upcoming parliamentary and district council elections.