The local officials in southern Kandahar province are saying that Taliban’s coordinated attack on security posts was responded with massive airstrikes that resulted into killing of at least 25 militants.
Provincial police spokesman Zia Durrani said a large number of Taliban militants launched a coordinated attack on Kandahar-Uruzgan highway on Sunday night.
He said the US military carried out a series of airstrikes on Taliban positions in support of the security forces.
According to Durani, at least 25 militants were killed and at least 14 others were wounded during the airstrikes and clashes with the security forces.
Durani further added that the security forces on the ground did not suffer any casualty during the attack.
The anti-government armed militant groups including Taliban insurgents have not commented regarding the report so far.
This comes as the anti-government armed militants have been attempting to carry out large scale attacks in the restive provinces during the recent weeks amid ongoing operations to suppress the insurgency activities of the militant groups.
The local officials in Uruzgan said at least 28 militants were killed in a series of airstrikes in Chora and Khas Uruzgan districts of Uruzgan province late on Sunday night.