In the attack on a hotel in the heart of Kabul, the Afghan capital, on Monday, five Chinese nationals were injured, according to Wang Wenbin, a spokesperson for the Chinese foreign ministry.
In response to the most recent violence that has affected Chinese people living in Afghanistan, Wang said during a news briefing that China had lodged solemn representations with the Afghan government.
China demanded that the Afghan administration “spare no efforts” in looking for and rescuing Chinese citizens.
Wang said that his country also demands an extensive investigation be launched, that the attackers be “severely” punished, and that the protection of Chinese individuals and organizations in Afghanistan be stepped up.
The foreign ministry has once more advised Chinese nationals and organizations to leave Afghanistan as quickly as possible, Wang continued, citing the volatile security situation in Afghanistan.
This comes as the ISKP, an ISIS regional affiliate, released a video of a hotel on fire, showing smoke spewing from the structure and a floor blazing, and claimed responsibility for the attack and that “Chinese communists and Taliban forces” were the attack targets.
The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) of the UK previously advised British citizens not to travel to Afghanistan due to the “extremely volatile” security situation following the insurgent group’s overthrow of the government.