Trump administration declassified an unconfirmed intelligence, showing that the Chinese government offered bounties to nonstate bodies in Afghanistan to attack stationed American troops, and recently the president was briefed according to the matter.
The revelation was first reported by Axios on Wednesday, the report is said to have been uncorroborated
Washington Examiner reported, that two senior administration officials separately confirmed the reports on the declassified intelligence with the news firm.
In a report by the POLITICO, it is said that US National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien briefed President Donald Trump on the unconfirmed allegations on December 17, 2020.
The official went on to described the recent intelligence as “rumors” and lacking “hard evidence,” Politico said in a report.
According to POLITICO allegations involving Chinese operatives in Afghanistan is being handled differently than those involving Moscow earlier this year.
The US “treats this intelligence with caution, but any intelligence or reports relating to the safety of US forces is something we take very seriously,” officials Told Politico.
Biden Transition team seeks to learn “as much as we can about these allegations,” said a transition official, noting that the news is “another illustration of why we need full cooperation” from the Pentagon, Politico Indicated.
Biden earlier this week accused Defense Department leadership of obstructing the transition, according to the report.