FILE: Regimental Sergeant Major of the First Mentoring Task Force, Warrant Officer Class One, Stephan Colman on patrol in the Baluchi Valley.

SYDNEY – Australia has issued termination notices to at least 10 special forces soldiers, said the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on Thursday, after the release of a report that found credible evidence of unlawful killings in Afghanistan.

In a report last week, at least 19 current and former Australian soldiers were referred for potential criminal prosecution for allegedly killing 39 Afghan locals; the majority of whom had been unarmed and captured.

None of the 19 soldiers was identified in the report, which was written by a state judge appointed by the inspector-general of defense. The 19 current and former soldiers have been referred for possible prosecution.

Amid the immediate fallout, the ABC said 10 soldiers had been formally notified that they would be dismissed.

The broadcaster did not identify any of the 10 but said all of them were witnesses or accessories and therefore not among the 19 referred for possible criminal charges.

Department of Defense did not immediately comment on the case.

________

Australian Forces in Afghanistan [Photo: Archive]

[EARLIER: ‘Australian Forces Suspected of Killing 39 Locals in Afghanistan’]

KABUL, Afghanistan – At least 19 current and former Australian soldiers will be referred for potential criminal prosecution for allegedly killing 39 Afghan locals, Canberra said Thursday, the majority of whom had been unarmed and captured.

Detailing the findings of the long-awaited inquiry into the conduct of Special Forces personnel in Afghanistan between 2005 and 2016, Australia’s General Angus John Campbell said there was credible information of 39 unlawful killings by 25 Australian Special Forces personnel in 23 separate incidents, as TOLOnews reported.

All of those kills were outside the “heat of battle”, Campbell said. “These findings allege the most serious breaches of military conduct and professional values.”

“The unlawful killing, of civilians and prisoners is never acceptable,” he added.

According to reports, majority of those killed – including prisoners, farmers and Afghan locals – were initially kept hostage; and therefore, are protected under international law.  

Campbell said 19 current and former members of Australia’s military will be referred to a soon-to-be appointed special investigator to determine whether there was sufficient evidence to prosecute, said the report.

Australia’s Minister for Defense Linda Reynolds said last week that Canberra had been advised that local prosecution would negate charges at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. 

Author

  • Muhammad Arif Sheva holds a B.A degree in Journalism from Int'l Peace Leadership College Rizal, Philippines. Sheva works as an editor and content writer for Khaama Press.