Afghan defense ministry officials are saying that the fourth phase of security transition from the NATO-led coalition security forces to Afghan security forces will be accompanied by a number of challenges.
Despite the time frame for the security transition has not been announced formally however Afghan defense ministry says that a number of security related challenges will threat the process.
Afghan army chief of staff Shir Mohammad Karimi on Sunday said the assessment work for the fourth round of security transition has been started.
Mr. Karimi said the transition will probably be implemented in eastern and volatile regions of the country. “Currently we are assessing the areas for the security transition where major security threats have been noted. Militants are actively operating in the regions who can pose threats for the transiton process but this is not a concern for us”, he said.
He also insisted that the security transition was one of the main demand of the Afghan government and people and should be implemented in a better way.
Shir Mohammad Karimi said Afghan security forces are currently covering security in 76% of the Afghan soil. ISAF officials earlier also said security issues will possibly create barriers for the security transition.
Security transition to Afghan security forces started last year and the process is expected to complete in 5 phases.
Officials are saying that the third phase of security transition has been completed and Afghan presidnet Hamid Karzai is due to announce the fouth phase of the transition.
In the meantime analysts are saying that the militants have started creating problems in the areas to be handed over to Afghan security forces and their activities will increase.
On the other officials are concerned regarding the lack of proper military equipments and the Afghan government recently insisted US to properly equip Afghan security forces, which was one of the main conditions of Kabul to sign a security pact with Washington.