The Afghan government condemned the attack by Houthi militants targeting the Saudi Arabia oil tankers in Bab al-Mandeb Strait.

The Office of the President, ARG Palace, in a statement said the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan calls the attack on Saudi oil tankers a ‘terrorist act’ and condemns it in strongest words.

The statement further added that attacks on civilian places, civilians, and trade areas are in contrast with the principles of Islam, as such attacks eliminate the social stability, order, and security.

The statement also added that the Afghan government shares sympathy and unity with the government and people of Saudi Arabia, emphasizing that terrorist related actions and violence have not justification.

Saudi Arabia’s energy minister Khalid al-Falih said Thursday that two oil tankers, each carrying two million barrels of oil, had been attacked and one sustained minimal damage.

Al-Falih in a statement said “Saudi Arabia is temporarily halting all oil shipments through Bab al-Mandeb Strait immediately until the situation becomes clearer and the maritime transit through Bab al-Mandeb is safe.”

Author

  • Khaama Press

    The Khaama Press News Agency is the leading and largest English news service for Afghanistan with over 3 million hits a month. Independent authors/columnists and experts are welcomed to contribute stories, opinions and editorials. Send stories to news@khaama.com.