Sediq Sediqi, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said clearing operations are underway after the Afghan forces retook the control of the city.
He said heavy casualties have been incurred to the Taliban militants during the ongoing operations.
Taliban militants seized the control of the city late on Monday evening after launched coordinated attacks on the city earlier that morning.
The Afghan forces are also supported by the coalition security forces during the operations to retake control of the city.
The US forces have carried out at least five airstrikes against the Taliban militants since Tuesday, the Resolute Support mission said.
A statement by Resolute Support mission said U.S. forces conducted an airstrike in self-defense to eliminate the threat on Wednesday after coalition special forces advisors, to include U.S. servicemembers, while advising and assisting elements of the Afghan Security Forces, encountered an insurgent threat in the vicinity of the Kunduz airport at approximately 1 a.m., Sept 30.
Resolute Support said Afghan Security Forces have full responsibility for their operations in Kunduz. “Resolute Support servicemembers are there to advise and assist. However, our servicemembers have the right to protect themselves if necessary,” the statement added.
“U.S. forces conducted two airstrikes Sept. 29, the first at approximately 9:15 a.m. in the outskirts of Kunduz city, and the second at approximately 11:30 p.m. in the vicinity of the Kunduz airport. U.S. forces conducted three airstrikes Sept. 30, one at approximately 1 a.m. (the strike mentioned above), and two additional at approximately 5 p.m. all in the vicinity of the Kunduz airport. The five airstrikes were conducted to eliminate threats to coalition and Afghan forces,” RS said.