December 14, 2018
Advertisement

Afghan forces respect ceasefire but to ready to defend against aggression: Barmak

By Khaama Press - Thu Jun 14 2018, 1:24 pm

The Minister of Interior Wais Ahmad Barmak says the Afghan forces are committed to respect the government’s decision for the ceasefire but ready to defend against the aggressions.

Speaking during a press conference, Barmak expressed hopes for the extension of the ceasefire duration as he called on Taliban to respond positively to government’s offer for peace and reconciliation.

In the meantime, Barmak said the Afghan forces have the right to respond to the aggressions, emphasizing that ceasefire does not mean that the Afghan forces will not have the authority to defend.

Barmak also added that the commanders have been granted permission to fully respond in the event of an attack and breach of ceasefire.

The Taliban group announced earlier on Saturday that the leadership of the group has decided to declared ceasefire during the three days of Eid-ul-Fitr during which no attack will be carried out on Afghan forces.

The announcement by the Taliban group apparently followed the declaration of the ceasefire by the Afghan government.

Earlier on Thursday last week, President Ghani announced a ceasefire with the Taliban group and said the Afghan forces will not conduct offensive operations against the group from 27th of the holy month of Ramadan until the 5th day of Eid.

Follow The Khaama Press News Agency on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

Leave a Reply

Advertisement
Tags: , , ,