The Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) cleared the strategic Kunduz city from the presence of the Taliban militants after nine days of intense gun battle, local officials said Wednesday.
Provincial police chief Mohammad Masoom Hashemi said the clearance operations fully concluded late on Tuesday night and operations are currently being conducted in the remote parts of the province.
There are no reports regarding the casualties incurred to the local residents and security forces during the past 9 days.
Thousands of local residents of the city were forced to flee the area after the Taliban militants launched a coordinated attack on the city.
The Taliban militants have launched numerous attacks on Kunduz city since it was retaken by the Afghan Special Operations Forces earlier in the month of October last year.
The latest attack by the group was launched last week after they started their offensive on the strategic city from different directions with an aim to capture its control.
The Taliban insurgents were accused of horrific criminal activities after they seized control of the city, including target killings, rape, kidnappings, use of civilians as shields, looting of public and private properties.
The Independent Human Rights Commission of Afghanistan said at least 50 civilians were killed and over 350 others were wounded.