Provincial governor’s spokesman Dost Mohammad Nayab confirmed the airstrike took place late on Sunday afternoon in Chora district.
He said at least 80 Taliban insurgents were also wounded as they were busy destroying the abandoned army base in the area.
According to the local officials, the Taliban insurgents captured the army base two days ago following a coordianted attack and some security personnel surrendered to Taliban insurgents following the attack.
In the meantime, the Taliban insurgents are claiming that the group’s fighters did not suffer any casualties in the airstrike and some 30 civilians were killed in the attack.
However, the local officials reject the Taliban claims as baseless and said all those killed or wounded in the attack were insurgents.
Uruzgan is among the relatively volatile provinces in southern Afghanistan where the Taliban insurgent are actively operating in a number of its remote districts and often carry out insurgency activities.
The provincial police chief of southern Uruzgan province Mohammad Wais Samimi and provincial security chief Abdul Qawi were dismissed from his post after a steep rise in violence in the province last month.
The securty situation of Uruzgan province sharply deteriorated earlier this month after the Taliban militants launched a coordinated attack.
The attack by the Taliban put the key provincial capital on the brink of collapse as the group was close to take its control.
Additional forces were deployed to Uruzgan to push back the Taliban offensive and the provincial police chief of Kandahar General Abdul Raziq visited the province to coordinate operations against the group.