68 dead, 165 wounded in Nangarhar suicide attack: Officials
By Khaama Press - Wed Sep 12 2018, 10:09 am
Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani confirmed the death toll and said at least 165 others have also sustained injuries in the attack.
This comes as a member of the provincial council had earlier said at least 70 people have been killed and more than 180 others have sustained injuries in the attack.
No individual or group has so far claimed responsibility behind today’s attack in Nangarhar province.
The provincial government media office in a statement said late on Tuesday that the incident took place in Dak area of Momandara district, targeting a gathering of the protesters.
The statement further added that the attack left at least 32 dead while 128 others sustained injuries.
The incident took place at around 1pm local time on Jalalabad-Torkham highway in the vicinity of Dak area as the residents of Shenwar area were protesting and a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near a tent where dozens of protesters had gathered, the statement added.