The local officials in Nangarhar province confirmed that the death toll from today’s explosion inside a mosque in Nangarhar has climbed to at least 62.

Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial government said the explosion wounded at least 33 people.

Khogyani further added that the explosion took place during the Friday prayers inside a mosque in Haska Mina district of Nangarhar.

The Governor’s Office of Nangarhar in a statement said roof of the mosque collapsed following the explosion which left dozens of prayer participants dead or wounded.

No individual or group has so far claimed responsibility for the explosion.

Author

  • Khaama Press

    The Khaama Press News Agency is the leading and largest English news service for Afghanistan with over 3 million hits a month. Independent authors/columnists and experts are welcomed to contribute stories, opinions and editorials. Send stories to news@khaama.com.