The Ministry of Defense (MoD) said the raid was conducted on Thursday night in the restive Nawzad district.
A statement by MoD said at least 60 people kept in the prison were released during the operation, leaving at least 2 militants dead and 3 others wounded.
The statement further added that 10 motorcycles belonging to the insurgents were also destroyed during the operation and large amount of explosive were confiscated.
MoD did not disclose further information regarding the casualties of the Afghan forces during the raid, saying further information regarding the operation will be released later.
The anti-government armed militant groups including the Taliban insurgents have not commented regarding the report so far.
The Afghan Special Operations Forces have stepped up night raids targeting the Taliban insurgents in the restive provinces recently as experts believe the operations have yielded positive results in curbing the insurgency activities of the militants.