At least 45 loyalists of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group were killed during an operation in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) said Saturday.
MoD further added that the operation was conducted in Pacher Agam district of Nangarhar following a coordinated attack by the group on security posts.
In the meantime, a local tribal elder said the attack left several houses on fire and caused casualties to the local residents.
Provincial governor’s spokesman Ataullah Khogyani said the Afghan forces and the public uprising forces started clashes with the ISIS loyalists on Friday morning and sporadic clashes still continue in the area.
He said the ISIS loyalists have torched the houses of the public uprising forces and at least 4 civilians lost their lives in the attack.
Khogyani further added that 54 ISIS loyalists were killed and at least 22 others were wounded during the clashes but did not elaborate further regarding the civilian casualties.
The loyalists of ISIS terrorist group have not commented regarding the report so far.
This is the first large scale attack by ISIS loyalists in Nangarhar province following months of coordinated counter-terrorism operations by Afghan forces that incurred heavy losses to the loyalists of the terror group.
The US forces based in Afghanistan also conduct regular airstrikes against the terror group after they were granted broader role by Obama administration.