Takhar provincial council member said, 21 soldiers, including the provincial security chief, have been killed in fierce fighting between the Taliban and Afghan security forces since last night.

Latifa Saeedi, a member of the Takhar provincial council, told Khaama Press that fighting had been going on for the past few days in the Baharak district of the province and that Afghan forces had suffered casualties since Tuesday.

21 soldiers have been reported KIA the battle, and four soldiers are said to have been still missing in action.

“The government has not cooperated in any way”, adding that “Interior Minister Massoud Andarabi, Chief of Staff Mohammad Yasin Zia and Commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) General Scott Miller had visited the province a few days ago, amid their arrival the embattled regions were scheduled for clearance but foreign forces did not allow the operation to take place”. The provincial council member said.

Meanwhile, Jawad Hijri, spokesman for the Takhar governor, told Khaama Press that eight soldiers, including a security official, were killed in the clashes, however, clashes are still ongoing in the region.

He added that the Taliban had also suffered heavy casualties, but were not clearly known to him.

Author

  • Mohammad Haroon Alim holds a BBA degree from Kardan University. He works as a sub-editor for Khaama Press.