Two men were murdered after a shooting at a Mercedes-Benz factory in Sindelfingen, Southern Germany, on Thursday; police reported that they had detained a suspect.
According to police, the 53-year-old had been arrested immediately after the incident, and there is no longer any danger to the company’s employees.
Police said that one of the men, who had been seriously injured in the incident, died in the hospital; no other people were harmed.
The shooting that claimed the lives of two 44-year-old men was believed to have been committed by a single person, according to the public prosecutor’s office in the nearby city of Stuttgart.
Two helicopters, numerous emergency medical personnel, and a special operations team deployed full force to secure the area.
Mercedes-Benz voiced their disappointment over the incident.”The tragic news from Sindelfingen has deeply shocked us,” a company spokesman said, adding, “Our thoughts are with the victims, their families and all colleagues on site.”
Germany is debating enacting more vital gun rules in the wake of recent tragic shootings in the country. In the wake of a shooting in March in Hamburg where a shooter killed six people at a Jehovah’s Witness hall, the German government said it would review guns law.