October 30, 2014

YouTube banned in Afghanistan over Anti-Islam film

By Sadaf Shinwari - Thu Sep 13 2012, 9:09 am

Afghanistan banned the YouTube website on Wednesday to stop Afghans watching a U.S.-made film insulting the Prophet Mohammad that sparked protests in North Africa and the killing of the U.S. ambassador to Libya.

Afghanistan also on Wednesday strongly condemned as “inhuman and insulting” a film deemed offensive to Islam as it braced for possible protests after an anti-US riot in Libya killed the American ambassador and three other diplomats.

“Following instructions by the ministry of information and culture, the ministry of communication has ordered all service providers to block YouTube access,” communications ministry official Aimal Marjan told AFP.

He said the block had been ordered “until YouTube removes this abusive film”.

The video in question is titled “Innocence of Muslims,” and depicts Mohammad as a philanderer and a fake prophet. The video was created by Sam Bacile, and Israeli-American who said that he made the film in order to draw attention to “hypocrisies” in the Islamic faith. The highly controversial video has sparked protests across the world, some of which have been violent.

This comes as earlier this year, Afghans rioted after U.S. soldiers serving at Bagram prison north of Kabul mistakenly burned hundreds of Qurans and other religious materials that had been taken from the facility’ library.

Follow Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

1 Comment

Comments -49 - 0 of 1First« PrevNext »Last
  1. As of 1:29pm Thursday Sept. 13, the YOUTUBE is fully operational in Afghanistan, the Internet Service Provider to Foreign Organizations of not observing the direction of Ministry of Communication and Information Technology. particularly in the areas of Shush Darak. 

Comments -49 - 0 of 1First« PrevNext »Last

Leave a Reply

Current ye@r *