5 killed in Kandahar UNHCR compound attacks
By Ghanizada - 31 Oct 2011, 8:15 am
Monday, October 31, 2011 – At least five people were killed and injured after a number of armed militants stormed United Nation High Commissioner for Refugees compound in southern Kandahar province early Monday morning.
The clashes started early Monday in Shahr-e-Naw area of southern Kandahar province, near UNHCR and IRD office, after a vehicle laden with explosives detonated near the UNHCR compound in this province.
Acting provincial police chiefGen. Abdul Razaq confirming the incident said, a number of armed insurgents managed to enter the compound after a vehicle laden with explosives rammed into the gate of the UNHCR compound.
Gen. Razaq further added, head of the 6th district police chief Gen. Aziz Ahmad died of his wounds and other three security guards of UNHCR were also killed following the incident.
In the meantime, officials in Mirwais provincial hospital said, at least five dead bodies including a police officer and 4 UNHCR employees and six injured people were taken to the hospital so far.
According to reports, at least two armed insurgents are still resisting the Afghan security forces and exchanging fire from inside the compound.
Meanwhile, Taliban militants group claimed responsibility behind the incident.
A spokesman for the Taliban militants group Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said, at least eight foreigners have been killed by their fighters so far.
The area of the incident has been cordoned off by Afghan and international coalition forces.