Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from ODIs
By Sayed Jawad - Sun Dec 23, 11:02 am
One of the game’s all-time greats, Sachin Tendulkar, on Sunday announced his retirement from one-day cricket, bringing to an end a glorious 23-year-old career in the format during which he rewrote numerous batting records, Times of India reported.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) released Sachin’s statement on the day when team for Pakistan series was to be announced.
“I have decided to retire from the One Day format of the game. I feel blessed to have fulfilled the dream of being part of a World Cup wining Indian team,” Tendulkar said in his statement to BCCI chief N Srinivasan.
“Indian batting legend Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from the one day format of the game,” the BCCI tweeted on Sunday morning.
Speculations were rife as to whether Tendulkar will announce his retirement following a string of failures in Test cricket. He had earlier said that he will consider his cricketing future in November.
Tendulkar, considered the most complete batsman in modern cricket and one who was considered next only to the legendary Sir Donald Bradman, retires from the ODI format at the top of the run-getters’ list.
In his career, Sachin has scored 18426 runs in 463 ODIs. His highest score in ODIs is 200 runs that came in 2010 against South Africa in Gwalior.
Sachin has scored 49 centuries and 96 fifties in his career. The master batsman, who made his debut on December 18, 1989 against Pakistan, last played an ODI on March 18, 2012 also against Pakistan in Asia Cup.
The Mumbaikar, who made himself unavailable for Twenty20 after playing just one game in 2006, will now remain active in only the Test arena.