April 21, 2014

Mumbai attacker Ajmal Kasab face death Penalty

By Sajad - Wed Aug 29 2012, 4:13 pm

India’s Supreme Court Wednesday upheld the death sentence of a 24-year-old Pakistani national in the November 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.

Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab is the lone survivor among the 10 gunmen involved in the 2008 attacks that lasted three days and left 166 people dead and more than 200 wounded. The other gunmen were killed by security forces during the siege.

Pakistan-born Kasab, one of 10 gunmen who laid siege to India’s financial capital in attacks that lasted nearly three days, had appealed against the sentence claiming that he had not received a fair trial.

A trial court sentenced Kasab, a Pakistani, to death in 2010 on charges of murder, conspiracy and waging war on India.

The High Court of Mumbai upheld his conviction and sentence in February last year. Now, the Supreme Court has done the same, rejecting his argument that he hadn’t received a fair trial.

“The court has had a chance to appreciate the evidence completely,” Gopal Subramaniam, a lawyer for the prosecution, said after the verdict. He noted that Kasab had been provided with state-appointed lawyers for his different court hearings.

Kasab along with nine other Pakistani terrorists had landed in south Mumbai on November 26, 2008 night after travelling from Karachi by sea and had gone on a shooting spree at various city landmarks.

While Kasab was the lone terrorist captured alive, the other terrorists in his group were killed by security forces during the counter-terror operations.

The apex court also upheld the acquittal of Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, the two alleged Indian conspirators in the Mumbai terror attack case.

The Congress Wednesday welcomed the Supreme Court verdict upholding the death sentence to Ajmal Kasab in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case and sought its early execution, even as the BJP expressed doubt over the UPA government’s intention to act on the verdict.

Law Minister Salman Khurshid said the verdict was inevitable and the court had reached the obvious conclusion. He said the case had gone through the due process of law.

Follow Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

Leave a Reply


four + = 10

Advertisement