Karzai summon NATO commander over civilian deaths
By Ghanizada - 14 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm
According to a statement released by presidential palace media office, “On the tragic bombing in which ten civilians were killed, Gen. Dunford explained that they were conducting a partnered operation against members of Al-qaeda when they called in air support. He said they are investigating the incident.”
The source futher added, “Pointing to a commitment Gen. Allen had previously made not to conduct any air strike or bombing in residential areas, President Karzai reminded that such incidents must strictly be avoided in future and any recurrence is not acceptable.”
Gen. Dunford expressed regrets over the Wednesday incident resulting in civilian casualties and pledged that as per the previous commitment, NATO will, from now on, avoid carrying out operations and bombings in residential areas.”
A Nato air strike in eastern Afghanistan has killed 10 civilians, five of them children, and wounded five other children, Afghan officials said.
Civilian deaths in air strikes have been one of the most emotive and high-profile issues of the war in Afghanistan, although in recent years UN statistics show that the Taliban have caused the majority of civilian casualties.
If confirmed the latest deaths are likely to spark protests and renew tensions over civilian casualties between the Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, and the Nato-led military coalition.