Dozens killed and injured following attacks in Norway
By Ghanizada - Sat Jul 23 2011, 2:13 pm
- 0 Comments
- 976 views
- Tweet
Email
Print
Saturday, July 23, 2011 – According to police officials, at least 84 people died when a gunman opened fire at an island youth camp in Norway, hours after a deadly bombing in the capital, Oslo
In connection to attacks, police have charged a 32-year-old Norwegian man over both attacks while the search for other victims continues.
Security officials arrested a man dressed as a police officer on tiny Utoeya island after an hour-long shooting spree.
At least seven were killed following the Oslo bombing. Jens Stoltenberg, Prime Minister of Norway described the attacks as a nightmare.
Mr. Stoltenberg, whose offices were among those badly hit by the blast, described the attacks as a national tragedy and said civil servants were among the dead in Oslo.
While speaking during a press conference in Oslo, he said, “Never since the Second World War has our country been hit by a crime on this scale.”
Mr. Stoltenberg further added, he was due to have been on Utoeya – “a youth paradise turned into a hell” – a few hours after the attack took place. Many others were injured there as well as those who died.
He also said, he knew some of the dead in the Oslo attack. “Beyond that I cannot give further details while the police carry out their investigation.”
It was too early too comment on a possible motive for the attacks, Mr. Stoltenberg said. No group has said it carried them out.
The suspect is reported by local media to have had links with right-wing extremists. Police named him as Anders Behring Breivik. His Oslo apartment was searched overnight.
According to sources, Norway has had problems with neo-Nazi groups in the past but the assumption was that such groups had been largely eliminated and did not pose a significant threat.
Police officials in Norway said, they are investigating whether the attacks were the work of one man or whether he had help.
Roger Andresen, deputy police chief said, “At Utoeya, the water is still being searched for more victims.”
The source further added, “We have no more information than… what has been found on [his] own websites, which is that it goes towards the right and that it is, so to speak, Christian fundamentalist.”
According to the early reports, the number of dead from the island shooting spree, which is among the world’s most deadly, was put at 10. Hundreds of young people were attending the summer camp organised by the ruling Labour Party on Utoeya island.
Follow Khaama Press (KP) | Afghan News Agency on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS
- 0 Comments
- 976 views
- Tweet
Email
Print



